Here I go again...

It's March, so the annual observation of the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 is just around the corner, and tis the season to make another 1912 dress.  Who wants to be seen in last year's gown?  And it will be so much easier this year because I have all of the undergarments -- which also clearly means that this year I can acquire reproduction footwear.

A friend inquired recently whether I'd be blogging about my experience this year, and I said it depended on how torturous the path was.  And here I am, blogging.  Who knew it would be so difficult again this year, even without the underpinnings?

After the requisite hours upon hours spent researching, I have found several inspirational images.  After ordering several dozen silk fabric swatches, I've made my decision and purchased my fabrics.  And then, after learning yesterday that the fabric I so painstakingly chose is not in stock, I went with a very close second choice.  In the meantime I've found a few supplemental fabrics that should coordinate with everything else, just in case.  I might still need some navy blue chiffon and/or velvet and I should know better about that in a few days.  I've also ordered some lace trim, but not nearly as much as last year, because I am only making a dress this time after all.

Oh, and I also need to make a hat.  It is perfectly obvious that I cannot wear last year's purple hat with this year's blue and taupe gown.  I found some candidate straw hats at a thrift shop, ordered blue flowers and now need to decide if I will include an ostrich feather this year.  But is not having an ostrich feather really even an option?  I think not.  Perhaps I'll get grey.  I've learned how to keep my hat brim from drooping ever lower as it did last year over the course of the afternoon.  Apparently there is such a thing as a hat frame made from millinery wire that holds everything in place.  Who knew?  Accordingly, I've ordered millinery wire, watched videos on how to make hat frames, and added that to my to do list.

Last year I became the proud owner of an Edwardian parasol.  Unfortunately, as I was gently cleaning away a century of grime, the fabric tore.  I was so irritated with myself for having allowed the damage to occur that it's been sitting at the bottom of our huge bathtub ever since.  Actually completing the repair is now also on my to do list.

The hat, the hat frame, and the parasol repair are all clear cut to me.  But oh my Lord the details of the dress!  Those Edwardians were all about details.  How do I make the bodice, the sleeves and the skirt all come together to approach the vision in my head (which is not all that detailed) using the fabrics that I have?  How will I design the Rube Goldberg-like closure? Every time I think I have a solution that will allow me to move forward with my patterning, I see the next problem.  As an example, 30 minutes ago, I realized that if I make the dress skirt straight enough to be able to cut the lace in rectangular panels like the dress on the left that means I will have to make a new petticoat and I don't think I have enough time to do that.  This dilemma also explains why I am sitting here in a T shirt, Edwardian petticoat with a muslin skirt pinned over top.  If I leave the hem of the skirt as wide as it is now, I can wear the petticoat but I'll have to piece the lace - can I make that look ok?

I have experienced several eureka moments earlier this morning, and am hoping for many more to come in short order.  The big one was that I have been letting my 21c sensibilities cloud my judgement about Edwardian design.  With this new clarity I have decided (I think) how to cut the bodice and how to use the same lace over top of it - but of course that also means I have to order more of it.  And I think I am close to solving the problem with the skirt width. And I am feeling pretty confident about having enough additional fabric options to make the details of the bodice come together.  Things really are looking up!

But damn, maybe I really do think I need to make the skirt narrower.

But maybe not.  It could all depend on how I alter the pattern to fit me.

If only I knew for sure!






Comments

  1. It's a work in progress and will be until it's done. LOL It'll be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your photos and being able to follow your thought process! Keep it up, please.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finally!

For Want of a Nail