For Want of a Nail



It looks like my reticule will be the first item finished.  You may wonder why?  Well, let me just say that this is not what my pert chart showed.

intended dress
pattern
From the strategic planning perspective, from the moment I decided on my dress I have had to make a lot of alterations to my pattern to end up with a dress that looks like the one I'm copying (right) rather than the one on the pattern cover (left).  Considering this process further, one must appreciate that the entire idea of corsets has always been to shape bodies into a specific shape.  This being the case, in order to make the alterations to the pattern and then check the fit of the resulting muslin prototypes, I'd either have to put the corset on every time I need to check the fit or I need a dress form shaped like me in my late Edwardian corset.  

After pondering this dilemma I decided to make a dress form of my corseted self.  There are tons of videos on YouTube that show how, of course.  It takes two people a few hours, and Jim was delighted to be enlisted as the second person when he learned he'd get to cover me with duck tape.  And so we procured the duck tape and stuffing.  As soon as the corset was finished we would make the duck tape dress form, and then I'd be good to make and perfect the desired pattern alternations!   


Unfortunately, we have yet to execute that plan. A mere 7 days ago I was happily finishing my corset when suddenly it became apparent that I had not ordered enough bone tips.  They are inexpensive little clamp-on things that are also critical parts.  If you thread the bones into the bone channels without the tips on them they'll wear through the fabric and then into your skin.  So I did what any historical sewer would do in this situation: I went to Etsy, found some more (in MN) and ordered them.  I was so pleased to find just what I needed and with low shipping!  Right now the tracking on the USPS package indicates I should receive these doodads March 9.  With masterful understatement, the tracking software also informs me my package is "in transit, arriving late."

The obvious workaround to this minor snafu was to shift my attention to making the undergarments.  I am pleased to report that my petticoat is finished - except for the wide cotton eyelet which has been shipped from China and is expected next week.  My chemise is finished - except for the lace around the neck, arms and hem that is arriving from AL and should be here any time.  I started working on the drawers while waiting for the lace I'd ordered for them (also from AL).  I traced the pattern, cut the muslin, starting sewing them together... and determined that the pattern is just not going to work.  So I ordered a different pattern, which is not here yet.  And I just didn't have the heart to begin the corset cover.  

Still trying to fill this unexpected and extended slack time usefully, over the past few days I finished an exhaustive list of every last little notion, trim, ostrich feather and piece of fabric I need to finish this ensemble, and ordered everything yesterday.  I also ordered more bone tips from a different source.  There was now literally nothing else to do except work on the reticule (significantly upsized from the pattern in order to accommodate my 21c phone) - which should be finished tomorrow.  

At this rate, for the next several days I may have nothing better to do than develop a real pert chart for this project.  And this time the corset will be on the critical path!





Comments

  1. Just take really good measurements wearing your corset, flat measure you gown pattern and make what you think are the necessary adjustments when tracing it, then start with a muslin. You might be surprised how well that works!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finally!

Here I go again...